Prerequisite: Prior completion of the NRA Basic Pistol
The Scoop: This course teaches the knowledge, skills, and attitude to carry and use a concealed pistol ethically, responsibly and with confidence.
Details: The NRA Defensive Pistol Course will focus on the techniques needed to develop a defensive mindset. The goal of the course will be to develop the knowledge, skills, and attitude necessary to carry and use a concealed pistol ethically, responsibly and with confidence. As a result of participating in this course, the student will be able to explain and demonstrate the following: how to apply the NRA Rules for Safe Gun Handling when carrying a concealed firearm; basic principles of concealment; the difference between cover and concealment; drawing from the holster; levels of mental awareness; developing the proper mindset when using a pistol for personal protection; clearing common stoppages; use of pocket pistols; and more.
- NRA Guide to the Basics Of Personal Protection Outside The Home handbook
- NRA Gun Safety Rules brochure
- NRA Defensive Pistol certificate
Students should bring:
- Quality pistol appropriate for concealed carry – recommend minimum of 9mm or .38 Special
- Pocket pistols for short range exercises, if a student has one they would like to shoot. However, during this course, students will use strong side hip holsters.
- Quality strong side hip holster – recommend form fitted leather or kydex, must cover trigger/trigger guard
- Quality Belt, designed to carry a holster and a firearm strongly recommended
- 200 rounds of ammunition
- Spare magazines or speed loaders with appropriate pouches – at least two spares.
- Clothing appropriate for concealed carry
- Eye/ear protection (or you can borrow ours for free)
Length: 4 hours
Instructor: John Nagy